Workers Compensation Legal in Metairie, Louisiana
Any medical condition can affect your health, finances, and ability to do your job, but the implications of a work-related illness or injury can be overwhelming. Your immediate concern is getting the treatment you need, especially if you need emergency care after an on-the-job accident. However, you will soon realize that your losses are even more extensive. As your medical expenses are piling up, you might be unable to work for several days or weeks. With severe injuries or occupational diseases, you could be permanently disabled.
Fortunately, the workers’ compensation system protects employees who suffer from workplace medical conditions. If you qualify for benefits, you could begin receiving payments almost right away. Because the process can be complicated and there are challenges in dealing with insurance companies, it is wise to trust our team at The Law Firm for assistance. Please contact us to set up a consultation with a Los Angeles workers’ compensation lawyer who can provide details. Some general information may also be helpful.
Synopsis of the Workers’ Comp System
Unlike other personal injury cases, the law regarding work-related medical conditions is no-fault. You do not need to prove that your employer’s negligent acts or omissions were the cause of your workplace injuries or ailment. Instead, you must establish that you are eligible for workers’ comp benefits. Though every case is different, you typically will qualify if:
- You are a true employee, as opposed to an independent contractor;
- Your medical condition is the result of an on-the-job accident or occupational illness; and,
- You provide your employer with written notice of your injury or ailment within 30 days after the accident or diagnosis.
Note that workers’ compensation is your sole remedy in most cases, so you are barred from filing a civil lawsuit against your employer.
Legal Assistance with Workers’ Comp Cases
At The Law Firm, our team is knowledgeable in the laws and experienced in pursuing workers’ comp claims. Since employers are required to purchase insurance policies to cover the losses of injured employees, the first stages are filing a claim and dealing with your employer’s workers’ compensation insurer. If you are unable to resolve the matter with the insurance company, you have additional options through the Division of Workers’ Compensation.
Our Los Angeles workers’ compensation attorneys will advocate on your behalf throughout the process, assisting with such tasks as:
- Gathering medical records and other evidence of your injuries;
- Handling filing requirements by the respective deadlines;
- Submitting claims forms and supporting documentation to your employer’s insurer;
- Negotiating an agreement to resolve your worker’s comp claim; and
- Taking additional steps as necessary to ensure you obtain the full workers’ compensation you are entitled to by law.
Call Now to Speak to Our Los Angeles Workers’ Compensation Lawyer
This overview may be useful, but there are many additional details that could impact your claim. To learn more about the workers’ comp system and how we can assist, please contact The Law Firm to schedule a case evaluation. Our Los Angeles workers’ compensation attorneys can advise you once we review your unique circumstances.