Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements Legal in Metairie, Louisiana
Though it is not the most romantic topic, most couples are familiar with and may have even considered prenuptial or postnuptial agreements to govern their relationship if things break down. These contracts are typically associated with high net worth marriages, but spouses or engaged individuals of all income levels can benefit from executing the documents. Essentially, these agreements cover the issues that you would address in divorce, including asset division, spousal support, and certain matters involving minor children.
However, even when you understand the advantages and agree with your significant other on the main topics, legal representation is critical. You may not realize the full extent of your rights, so you could put them at risk. Our Metairie prenuptial and postnuptial agreements attorneys at Nicaud & Sunseri Law Firm will protect your interests, whether we are drafting the relevant documents or reviewing paperwork that has been presented to you. Please contact our office to schedule a consultation, and check out some of the basic legal concepts.
Law on Prenups and Postnuptial Agreements
As the terminology suggests, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements are those that couples contemplate before the wedding date or when already married. In both scenarios, the point is to reach a compromise on the key issues of divorce without resorting to litigation and requesting a court to decide. The advantage is that you have more control over your divorce, since you can execute a marital agreement regarding:
- Asset division, including a classification of community versus separate property, valuation methods, and how to divvy up real estate and personal items;
- Spousal support, such as the type, duration, and payment details; and
- Some aspects of child custody, visitation, and support, though you are limited as far as being able to alter law in these areas.
There are certain legal requirements for prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, so each spouse must sign the written document voluntarily after having a chance to review with an attorney. Plus, the parties must make full financial disclosures.
Legal Representation in Marital Agreement Matters
Our prenuptial and postnuptial agreements lawyers at Nicaud & Sunseri Law Firm will diligently support your goals and assist with all aspects of executing these documents. We are committed to all essential tasks, such as:
- Explaining relevant laws, so you have the details you need to understand your options;
- Advising you on creating a prenup and/or postnuptial agreement;
- Reviewing documents that your current or prospective spouse seeks to have you sign;
- Negotiating modifications, if necessary to protect your interests;
- Ensuring all paperwork meets requirements for prenuptial and postnuptial agreements; and
- Enforcing your rights in the event of breach.
Get Legal Help from a Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements Attorney
While the benefits of a marital agreement are attractive in terms of avoiding conflict, it is still important to ensure you protect your rights as a party to divorce and as a parent. To learn more, please contact Nicaud & Sunseri Law Firm to set up a case evaluation with a skilled prenuptial and postnuptial agreements lawyer.